Baby Girl will be 6 months in 17 days. She still spends her nights in the bassinet next to me in our room. I had expected her to stay there until she was a year, but she has almost outgrown the bassinet! It’s time for her to move to her room. I’m not ready for this. I know she’ll just be on the other side of the wall and I’ll be able to hear every peep she makes, but I’ll miss her and I know I’ll lose sleep worrying about her not being right next to me. It’s for the best though. The Husband and I won’t wake her up anymore when we hit the hay, and she’ll no longer wake us up with her sleep grunts and the loud conversations she has with herself when she wakes up way too early in the morning. Wait, let me rephrase that. She won’t wake The Husband up anymore. I’ll hear everything and I’ll rush to her room immediately to see what’s wrong. And she’ll be fine, of course. *sigh*
Baby Girl loves books. So I decided to make her a book she can use to learn the names and faces of all her family and friends. I found pictures of everyone who needed to be included in the book, including grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, etc. I uploaded them to my favorite photo editing website, Picnik, added names to the photos, and sent them off to Costco to be printed. I put them in a little photo album, asked my sister to make a cute cover on her fancy schmancy sewing machine, and voila! Baby Girl’s photo album was done! There are lots of empty pages in the back where we can put pictures of her new friends. She loves her new book!
Baby Girl and I met with our playgroup a few weeks ago and one of the moms brought these yummy bars for us that she called Oatmeal Carmelita bars. I asked her for the recipe because they pretty much rocked my world and I HAD to make them again myself. I revised the recipe a tiny bit by adding a little more salt and by using the chunky sea salt instead of table salt (I like salt), and they were even more awesome. I also changed the name to Whoa Nellie These Things Are Amazing Bars because when I tried them, that’s the first thing I thought, but the name has been shortened to Whoa Nellies. If your taste buds want to experience some super deliciousness, you need to make these things. I don’t have a picture to post here, but if I make some sometime soon I’ll take one and update this blog. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon chunky salt
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×9 inch square pan.
2. Combine the 1 cup flour, baking soda, oats, brown sugar, salt and melted butter. Mix to combine, mixture will be very crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
4. Let cool slightly then sprinkle over the crust the chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Mix the caramel ice cream topping with the 3 tablespoons of flour and drizzle over the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture. You will need to break it into small pieces to cover.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Let bars cool before cutting.