Baby Girl and I met with our playgroup a few weeks ago and one of the moms brought these yummy bars for us that she called Oatmeal Carmelita bars. I asked her for the recipe because they pretty much rocked my world and I HAD to make them again myself. I revised the recipe a tiny bit by adding a little more salt and by using the chunky sea salt instead of table salt (I like salt), and they were even more awesome. I also changed the name to Whoa Nellie These Things Are Amazing Bars because when I tried them, that’s the first thing I thought, but the name has been shortened to Whoa Nellies. If your taste buds want to experience some super deliciousness, you need to make these things. I don’t have a picture to post here, but if I make some sometime soon I’ll take one and update this blog. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon chunky salt
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×9 inch square pan.
2. Combine the 1 cup flour, baking soda, oats, brown sugar, salt and melted butter. Mix to combine, mixture will be very crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
4. Let cool slightly then sprinkle over the crust the chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Mix the caramel ice cream topping with the 3 tablespoons of flour and drizzle over the chocolate chips. Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture. You will need to break it into small pieces to cover.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Let bars cool before cutting.